Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Week 2





The temple was pretty awesome, we only did sealings and it was in Portuguese so that was a bit difficult.  Tomorrow we get to do an Endowment session.  P-Day was also pretty fun, I explored some of Sao Paulo with Elder Lehmann, got some ice cream ("Sorbete" for only 2.50 reais, so really cheap and it was pretty good!) and I took some pictures.  Thursday was also cool, we got to check in with the Federal Police so I am legal!

I memorized the First Vision (which was a bit of a struggle) and Moroni's Promise (not as difficult) this week.  We also had a member of our district go home last week because he couldn't get more than a couple hours of sleep a night and it was just too much with the lack of sleep.  He is a great guy and we miss him.  

My daily schedule varies from day to day, but we get up at 6:30 (except for temple days when it is 5:30) and lights out at 10:30, with tons of activities in between. Today is actually our 2nd day of doing laundry, they space it out far.  We wash again on Friday or Saturday this week, so it varies.  Good thing we are washing today, on my last pair of socks and I had to reuse a white shirt yesterday and today.  Luckily they've got machines to wash and dry. I am not not looking forward to having to do it by hand later on!


Church is still three hours, but it is broken up, like we have normal sacrament and then the first half of talks are 4 talks in Portuguese- 2 elders and 2 sisters- from the district that is on their last week, and then an intermediate hymn, and then a talk from a member of the branch presidency and their wife in English. Then there is a goal setting in your classroom with your district for the week, then Priesthood which is in English. Then I think we had a little study time and then like a sunday school thing which is also in English. Scattered in here is lunch too. Then in the afternoon they play a film. Thus far it has been Legacy and then a movie about the Americas during Christ´s life (from his birth to right when he visited them). Then that night there is a devotional. The devotionals are always in Portuguese and we have to wear headphones to listen in English and sometimes the translator isn´t that good, like we miss out on jokes and things like Sunday with the Area 70. Luckily, Wednesday they played an old devotional of Elder Holland, the one you actually put a quote from in the journal, about why is it so hard, and what they played through our headphones was Elder Holland which was awesome. I really needed that. 

Things are improving, or at least, I'm getting used to them.  Tuesday was rough but this whole week has gone by way faster than the eternity that was the first week.  And while I don't think I learned as much as I did the first week, or at least I don't feel like I did, I can now pray in Portuguese.  Anyway, glad to hear things are going great back at home.  


Love, Elder Mangum


No comments:

Post a Comment