Monday, February 1, 2016

A Splash and a Root Canal

Hey fam,

Another record breaking week in District Marcos Juarez.  Last week I had gotten a call from the sister training leaders telling me that one of the companionships I have in my district was in need of some help, not with obedience, but in terms of doing the work with animo (good cheer?) and enjoying it.  So we did a "splash" on Wednesday, where 10 of us (the 4 sisters, us, the ZLs, and 2 youth) went and just contacted people in their area for a couple hours.  At the end of the day, they had 36 new investigators, which is unheard of in that area.  The normal is 3 or 4 in a week...and we quadrupled that in a matter of hours.  In total in my district (the three companionships) we found 60 new investigators...more than 7 of the other 11 zones (A zone usually has between 14-24 missionaries, and finds 40 or so new investigators).  In other words, we killed it this week.  

Monday and Tuesday were pretty normal days in the work, we had an FHE with president and his daughter happened to have 4 friends over, so we took advantage of the opportunity and taught a little there, and one of them (Victoria se llama) showed up to church on Sunday.  Wednesday we were in Leones, I assigned one of the sisters to give the training based on the scripture in Matthew 16:24-26. Then the splash, which was a huge success, and showed everybody just how much we can do when we put our mind to it and have the right attitude.  Thursday and Friday was more work in our area.  Thursday I had to have a root canal...remember the molar that broke about 6 months ago?  It had started bugging me again, and I went to get it checked out, and they "operated" then and there, supposedly it was pretty serious.  I would explain it to y’all, but the truth is I can only explain it in Spanish, seeing as I had never had a root canal before in the states.  But the molar had 3 "conductos" and one of them started gushing out blood and wouldn't stop...it was a long 2 hours at the dentist office.  No pain meds, and they barely gave me anesthesia, hurt like heck during it. And my face still hurts, but no pain, no gain!  

Saturday morning I got a phone call telling me that I needed to travel to Bellville to do a baptismal interview for one of the ZL's investigators.  Antonella, mother of 3, super prepared, it was a really fun baptismal interview.  She knew everything, and had a testimony of every principle that we talked about.  She was baptized yesterday in the tarde.  Sunday we taught the 3rd hour lesson, on the Area Plan, which is a focus on The Sabbath Day, Self Reliance, and the Temple.  Then we had a surprise visit from a member of the 70 to our branch!  Elder Romeu from Buenos Aires, an area 70, came to talk to the youth specifically but ended up giving a charla to everybody, based on a few principles in For the Strength of Youth (language, music, friendships, etc.). It was only about an hour long and the left to go to one of the other branches, but it was cool to have a surprise visit.  Not quite like having the President of the Quorum of the 12 like y’all had at home, but still! Sounds like a pretty fun packed weekend. Alma 5 and 7 are packed full of good stuff.  

This is the last week of the transfer, they will call us on Saturday night.  Almost 100% sure that I am gone, already have 4 months in the area, and only 4 months left in the mission, probably headed to my last area.  Crazy how time flies!

Love y’all, keep on keeping on!


Elder Mangum

No comments:

Post a Comment