Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Intercambios, Noche de Hogar y Tramites

Hey Fam,

We got electricity!  After nearly 3 weeks, we finally got it back on Tuesday.  Unfortunately I left Tuesday morning to do intercambios (exchanges) with the Zone Leaders, so I didn´t get to enjoy it until the next day.  Monday we had Noche de Hogar (FHE) con Familia Aspitia, and they had never heard of milkshakes, so I made some for them and they loved it.  Milkshakes and smoothies aren´t a big thing here, but I’m trying to fix that.  Wednesday we got a new, full time missionary to replace the mini missionary.  Elder Willis, from Jacksonville, Florida.  Back to having 4 gringos in the apartment. On Thursday I finally got a haircut, from a miembro, Hermano Keller.  He didn´t really know how to cut hair, but it turned out alright, and saved me 50 pesos, which down here is a lot. We only get 1400 for the month.  Friday I was in the city of Cordoba all day doing tramites, which is just paperwork to make me legal in the country because my travel visa was about to expire.  We had to wake up at 3:30 to make it over there by 6:30 in the morning, and we were there until after 4 in the afternoon.  All I did the entire day was sign 3 pieces of paper. But now I am legal until next August, so that is a good thing.  Also, I was able to catch up with my old MTC buddy Elder Garrett and talk about what’s been going on for the past 2+ months that we´ve been in Argentina. Sunday was solid, we had cake with a converso reciente, Ruth, her one year anniversary of being a member.  She is getting ready to serve a mission of her own, she has already started her papers.  

Milagro (miracle) this week, we had a nonmember show up to conference with her neighbors, name of Catelina, 17 years old.  We passed by her house this week and taught her the Restoration, and she committed to be baptized on the 18th.  And, her father already gave her his permission to be baptized.  She showed up to church yesterday as well, and is really excited to be baptized. Alejandra passed her baptismal interview, but then didn´t show up to church yesterday, so she won’t be baptized until at least the 25th. She has completely stopped smoking though, all she has to do is show up to church.  She believes that it is all true, so we’ll see what happens!  It is hard to write in English, because I now dream and think in Spanish, and the computers tell me that every word is spelled wrong in English.

They are making a big push with family history here, they just got the My Family little booklets.  I actually am supposed to ask you for information and pictures to fill out the book, about all of my great grandparents, grandparents, parents, and the siblings of all those people as well.  There is time in the schedule to exercise everyday, and we almost always eat cold cereal for breakfast, although the new guy wants to start making stuff.  When the electricity was out, we used both flashlights and candles.  We usually teach lessons just at the homes of the investigators, and usually have 2 or 3 set appointments and just drop by for the rest.  We have used the Restoration video, Finding Faith in Christ, and On the Lord’s Errand, the documentary of President Monson’s life. As far as packages go, nobody really gets any, and if you want to send me something for my birthday, you would probably have to send it now for it to get here even close to then.

I’m glad to hear that Hayley’s volleyball team is killing it, and that everybody is having fun at home!  Love and miss you all.

Elder Mangum

PS- No pictures this week, we are at a different internet cafe that has a reputation for destroying SIM cards so I’m not going to risk it.

No comments:

Post a Comment